It’s time to take a look back at the Oscars’ most awkward moments ever – all the falling over, weird speeches and cringe-worthy red carpet behavior – yes, we’re looking at you, John Travolta.
1. Gwyneth Paltrow’s absurdly emotional speech in 1999
It’s an emotional thing winning an Oscar, sure, but maybe take it down a notch next time Gwyn, yeah? Plus, the Shakespeare In Love star managed to mention every single member of her family – some twice in fact.
2. Angelina Jolie and her brother getting way too close in 2000
As if kissing him A LOT on the red carpet wasn’t surprising enough, Ange said some weird stuff about him when she won the award for Best Supporting Actress in Girl, Interrupted. “I’m in shock, and I’m so in love with my brother right now,” she giggled. “He just held me and said he loved me and I know he’s so happy for me.”
3. John Travolta trying to say ‘Idina Menzel’ in 2014
Who the hell is Adele Dazeem? And if she’s so wickedly talented, and such a one and only, then why have I never heard of her?
4. John Travolta (again) being weird AF with Scarlett Johansson on the red carpet in 2014
Seriously, mate – can you not?
5. Jennifer Lawrence falling over in 2013
Maybe a cocktail dress would be a better choice for this year’s ceremony, yeah? Less floofy material to trip over.
6. And again in 2014…
7. Sacha Baron Cohen aka The Dictator chucking ashes on Ryan Seacrest in 2012
Sacha’s character, General Aladeen, carried a gold urn reportedly containing the ashes of former North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il, then chucked them all over Ryan, who wasn’t best pleased about the whole thing.
8. Literally everything that Anne Hathaway and James Franco did or said while hosting in 2011
Seriously. Every single thing they did or said.
9. Bjork laying an egg on the red carpet in 2001
It’s exactly what it says on the tin.
10. Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston in the same room in 2009
Brad and Jen called time on their five-year marriage in 2005 amid reports that he was in fact having an affair with his Mr & Mrs Smith co-star Ange, so the first time they all ended up in the same room was always going to be hella awkward. In 2009 both Brad and Ange were nominated, and Jen was presenting. Luckily Brad and Ange weren’t sat right in the front row while she was on stage. Oh wait, they were…
11. ‘We Saw Your Boobs’ in 2013
Seth MacFarlene aka the man behind Family Guy had a turn at presenting the Oscars in 2013, and it didn’t go down great. Especially his song about actresses whose boobs he’d seen in films. Skip to 46 seconds in for a particularly pissed off Charlize Theron.
12. ‘Jesus’ blessing Patricia Arquette during her acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actress for Boyhood in 2015
Okay, so it wasn’t actually Jesus, it was Jared Leto, but you still feel pretty enlightened, right?
13. Oh, and obviously envelope-gate in 2017
It honestly makes me want to cry when I watch this.
You can check out the latest casting calls and Entertainment News by clicking: Click Here
Click the logo below to go to the Home Page of the Website
Click the logo below to follow ETInside on Twitter
Click the logo below to follow ETInside on Facebook
Click the logo below to follow ETInside on Instagram
Click the logo below to follow ETInside on Pinterest
Click the logo below to follow ETInside on Medium